Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Comfort Reading

On a day like today, snowy, cold and blustery, what I most love to do is curl up with a favorite book, lure one of my kitties onto my lap, and sip hot chocolate. Here are a fewo of my favorite re-reads:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. You may have read the Lord of the Rings, or seen the movie, but the Hobbit is a different kind of experience. More friendly, a little simpler, the story is more folksy, although just as magical. Find out how Bilbo got the Ring that Frodo must destroy, and why Gandalf's fireworks are so admired in the Shire...

The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett. Yes, it is a little girl's story (and so is The Little Princess) but it is Soooo imaginative, and my heart just breaks for poor, neglected, unloved Mary every time I read about her. I root for Colin to walk again, and I wonder if poor Mr. Craven will ever find what he's seeking?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling. Yeah, I'm a fantasy lover - but Harry isn't just a fantasy book. He's a great kid in a tough situation - the book is a little bit scary, a little bit whimsical , and a lot adventuresome. Great reading for when you want to imagine an adventure of your own.

The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs. Prospero the Wizard is a crotchety old man, but his adventures are well worth reading. A bit scary, a bit silly, but all around good.

What do you consider to be your favorite re-reads?

No comments: