Friday, April 23, 2010

Infinity: the Chronicles of Nick

I was at the Texas Library Association's annual convention in San Antonio last week. One of the most exciting parts of that trip is visiting all the publishers booths in the Exhibit Hall. When I went by the St. Martin's Press booth, I mentioned I was a Teen Librarian. The exhibitor there said "Wow, have I got something to share with you!". I already had a bagful of posters and book catalogs, so I almost said "No thanks." That is, until I saw what she was clutching - an advance reader copy of "Infinity: The Chronicles of Nick" by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

For those who aren't in the know, Sherrilyn Kenyon writes the "Dark Hunter" series of novels (which now number 29, soon to be 30) in which the good allies of the Goddess Artemis defend humankind against daimons and other evils. Her newest series, the Chronicles of Nick, is aimed at young adult readers, and is VERY good! Nick is a 14 year old, enrolled as a scholarship student at a prestigious school in New Orleans. His mother is an exotic dancer, which gets him labeled "trash" by the school and students; Nick struggles to restrain his anger and bitterness. He's not helped by the fact that his father is in prison. But his real troubles begin on the night he decides NOT to help his friends mug a pair of tourists... and he begins to discover that he is anything but an ordinary teen.

I'm not going to tell you any more of the story - you need to read it for yourself. But I'll tell you I read it cover to cover in less than 2 days. I thought it was better written than Twilight, more interesting than Cirque du Freak, and more fun than Night World. It will be out on May 25th.

No comments: