Saturday, September 4, 2010

Book review - Riddle of the Wren

This book by Charles De Lint isn't new, and he's not a "new" author, by any means, but he's fairly new to me, and I just discovered this particular title. I'm halfway through it now, and I'm enjoying it greatly. It is a classic coming of age yarn as a young girl, Minda, discovers that someone is hunting her with magic, and she flees, seeking aid. Gathering companions about her, she seeks for the Weir, a place where she can find out how to rescue Jan, the first one who came to her aid, but who is trapped, himself.

De Lint's stories are always beautifully written, slow moving, and thought provoking. This one is no different. Minda's world is clearly defined as a sort of late-medieval small-town and country backwater, so the contrast when she travels to the great fallen technological city of Darkruin is sharp and has real impact. I'm greatly enjoying the mystery of who Minda is, why she's being pursued, and what the future holds for her. I think you'll enjoy it, too, especially if you're a fan of Hilari Bell, Herbie Brennan or Sharon Hale.

No comments: