Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Books I want to read...

I was peeling "new" stickers off a stack of books today (and shelving books, too), when I found a number of things that I'm just dying to read!

Herbie Brennan's newest book is The Shadow Project. I know I'm not supposed to judge by the cover, but this one has an action-blurred silhouette of a teen boy emerging from a mysterious blur of light. It looks science-fictiony, which I love. Herbie Brennan's Faerie Wars Chronicles was a favorite of mine, so I'm eager to find out who Danny Lipman is, and what happens to him as he joins "the Project"...

The second really interesting looking title is Player's Ruse by Hilari Bell. It's in her Knight and Rogue series - Gallant Sir Michael and streetwise Fisk run around in a post-medieval world trying to be a knight errant and his squire; sometimes they do well, and sometimes not so much. The previous books have been funny, silly and poignant. I look forward to watching Michael fall in love, and Fisk rescue him - and vice versa.

And last but not least, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly - on audio. Calpurnia is a little girl growing up in a sleepy Texas town in 1899. She longs for cool weather, goes out to the river with her grandfather, who is a naturalist, and navigates life with her six older brothers. It sounds like a sweet coming-of-age story, and might even be like another favorite of mine, Anne of Green Gables.

I'll try to remember to post a comment or two about each of these stories, after I've read them...and feel free to share if you've read any; or better yet, what novel are you most interested in reading next?

No comments: