Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Book Review

Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer - I've always liked Susan Pfeffer as an author, since I read "The Year Without Michael" during my first year as a YA Librarian. But I do think that Blood Wounds might be my favorite book by her. It follows the complex emotional journey of Willa, a girl whose birth father, whom she has not seen since she and her mother ran away when she was four, commits an act of terrific evil. Willa is forced to confront the ramifications of being a killer's daughter, of living with two stepsisters who have "everything" that she lacks, of having a mother who has kept secret, closed off, the whole history of her life before running away. Willa is a strong heroine, with her own secrets. She manages to endure, to struggle, to speak out, but her journey is a tough one. You'll want to take it with her... I'd recommend this to anyone who loves realistic, emotional stories about strong young women without an ounce of romance, supernatural elements or other window dressing. Five stars!

No comments: