Friday, June 15, 2012

Losers in Space - John Barnes - this science fiction adventure takes a bunch of self-described "loser" teens who sneak onto a space-ship bound for Mars, and pits them against each other and the unforgiving environment of outer space for survival.

I really enjoyed this book but I did have a few issues with it. Firstly, I could not understand why the heroine found herself amidst the "loser teens" as she seemed very self-aware, with a knowledge of her own strengths, motives, weaknesses and flaws that seemed a bit unteenlike. I also thought that the extreme ease and rapidity of the teens' ability to spring back from the accident that overtakes them and take command of their own future was unlikely. There should have been a period of uncertainty, of waffling, of immaturity, before they were forced to take charge.

These minor quibbles aside, the story was action-packed, exciting and believable. The science was accurate, interesting and integral to the story, while the characters and their actions were great. The story had some unexpected twists, and I really appreciated the ending. I'm just not sure the intended audience of teens will find it as believable as I did.

No comments: